Saturday, 3 May 2014

Travel essentials

photo (15)

Last week was ANZAC day for New Zealand and Australia.  On this day 25th April we remember our fallen soldiers who fought to protect our countries, as well as as toughs in the common wealth.  This also means we have a public holiday and I got to go home for the weekend.  I live in Christchurch so that means a quick (40ish mins) flight back to Wellington and I get to be back and see all my loved ones!!  Needless to say I took advantage of this public holiday and went back to Welly for a 4 day trip.  It was amazing to get to see all my family and friends, rushing around to see everyone and of course see my dog, Turtles, who I miss!!  Anyway you didn't stop by to hear me blabber on about what I did, lets get into to my 'Makeup Travel Essentials' shall we?

DSC_0321

When I travel I tend to pack light, I like to prethink my outfits and make sure I take just enough, plus if I really need something I can just go shopping, right? (hehe).  I also like to think about my makeup and how might create a look according to my outfit and or what I plan on doing when I'm away.  This time I wasn't going out on the town or anything, it was just about family and friends and catching up.  But I knew I would be going out for the odd dinner and or brunch so I definitely wanted some makeup choices that would suit both these occasions.  I don't know about you but when I travel I take either my most loved or old faithfuls that I have neglected and that's exactly what I did this trip, re-hashed some loves for a few older products and took a few of my current faves that I knew I could count on.  So lets break it down to a few categories, Face, Eyes and bases, Lips and Brushes.
FACE
DSC_0329
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder - Dim Light, Sleek contour kit - Light, Hourglass Blush - Radiant Magenta
Being autumn in NZ and its unpredictability weather wise I went for my favourite foundation the Chanel vitalumiere aqua in 20Beige.  This foundation provides me with the perfect amount of build-able coverage and slightly dewy finish.  My skin always feel fresh and light when I wear this foundation.  I also took my MAC Pro Longwear in NW15, this is great when I either want to even out my base or cover up any annoying face demons (pimples).  I also like this concealer when brightening up my undereyes, accordingly I really have been loving the Maybelline Age Rewind in Brightener for really help me look awake!  I also took the L'Oreal Nude Magique BB powder, I love this powder it sets my makeup flawlessly, leaves my skin with a natural, velvety texture and adds a little extra coverage if needed.

EYES
DSC_0343
TooFaced - LashGASM, Sleek Brow Stylish - Medium, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On - Perversion
What can I say, I have been loving the Chocolate Bar Palette, it is simply amazing and in my opinion great for travelling.  The Chocolate Bar Palette allows me to create a neutral eye for the day and amp it up for the evening or if I feel like something a little more than a casual look.  To set my my makeup I have been loving the NYX Matte Finish setting spray, I simply spritz this on my face after I have completed my base, contouring and blush and then spritz a few more times after I complete my eye look.  This seems to help keep my makeup looking fresh most the day and helps keep my eye shadow from smudging too much.  I also took MAC's Paintpot in painterly as its my favourtie eye-base, helping colours stay true to colour and last all day, similarly Benefits Porefessional helps keep my foundation from budging during the day.
photo (16)
A lil snap from my weekend away, using most of the products mentioned
LIPS
DSC_0332
MAC - Rebel, Revlon Matte Balm - Showy220
MAC's Syrup, has been absolute favourite at the moment so I HAD to take it with me!  It suits all looks and is prefect for the day-night transition.  I also love this lipstick as its non-drying and lasts long enough that I dont constantly have to touch up and reapply.  I also took Carmex, as I new my lips would need a little hydration throughout my weekend away and this is small enough to take around with me and heals my lips quickly!

BRUSHES
DSC_0352
When it comes to brushes I try to keep it simple and take the bare essentials.  I took the brushes that I new I could get the job done and create a some great looks and or finishes.  My fave eyebrushes (which you can see picture in the back) are from XOBeauty, they are soft and have a great weight to them.  With nice long handles I am able to pack on colours, add a wash to the lid or place a colour in the crease.  To smoke out my look I use my trusty MAC 217.  I also took my favourite face brushes of the moment, which are mixture of Real Techniques, Everyday Minerals and ELF.  The ELF powder brush is an amazing kabuki styled brush the allows me to press/stipple my BB Powder on seamlessly, as well as build the powder if I feel the need for it.  It is also good at ensuring my hairs are all flat after spraying any setting spray and can help blend my contour and blush easily! 
What are some of your favourite travel items, I would love to know!
Thank you for reading & make sure to follow Sweetsomethings in the sidebar!
-Rachill
               (c)All pictures and posts/opinions belong to SweetsomethingsNZ 3rd May, 2014
SHARE:
© sweetsomethingsnz. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOG DESIGNS BY pipdig