Saturday, 13 December 2014

Urban Decay Vice 3 - Review and Swatches

Hi Sweets, 
After being so inspired since using more colour (especially in the lower lash line) I decided I ‘needed’ the Urban Decay Vice 3 and so I got, all be it a little battered in transit and I have to say I am rather impressed.  (Cue intense, emotional music) Sadly, truth was all but shattered, so I had to do a little home surgery and I am happy to say that he recovered well and applies wonderfully.

As you may have noticed, I am a neutrals lover when it comes to eye shadows.  I am sometimes brave enough to ‘branch’ out and use a purple or maybe even a burgundy, I don’t even use black or grey…  well very rarely.  I am the 50 shades of brown and taupe kinda makeup wearer and even though I will rock the blackened purples of MAC’s Cyber, the bright neon of Candy Yum-Yum and the bold and beautiful In Love With Ginger without batting an eyelash, I quiver in makeup fear at the thought of coloured shadows.  Don’t get me wrong I LOVE the vibrancy and whimsy of coloured eye looks on other people, but on me I feel awkward, constantly seeking the reassurance of the ‘magical person’ in my makeup mirror, asking pointlessly “who’s the fairest of them all?” Does my green eye shadow make your skin crawl?”.  Ok… maybe I am not THAT scared of colours, but I definitely do not reach for them on a monthly basis. 

Recently, I decided this needed to change so I got my LOCRAC PRO 2 and used the beautiful navy shade to smoke out the lower lash line and outer-v and you know what I kinda liked it, loved it even!  So, then and there I decided that I would start experimenting with colour and that meant I rediscovered a love for some of my older palettes and used some new shadows that hadn’t even been swatched (how embarrassing).

The Vice 3 has 20 shadows of varying finishes, a double ended brush that is nothing fancy but will still aid in creating a good eye look and a pouch that cases and protects the palette. Many people didn’t like the fact that the palettes closure didn’t have the same push button as the Vice 2 but, I am indifferent.  The Vice 3 is a lot warmer than the 2 and has a few more mattes and that is why I prefer the 3.  The shimmery shades translate well on the lid, with little fall out and provide an almost metallic look to the eye, which is really impressive and totally on trend.  The mattes need a little more care and could do with some reformulation.  They are finely milled (a term I hate to use, as its chucked around a lot) and smooth but, packed quite firmly in the pan so they aren’t as buttery as you might expect and they are a little drier than the other shades and can be a little patchy.   I also feel as though some of the mattes aren’t true mattes, a couple have a slight satin finish to them or are matte bases with micro-glitter.  The few patchy shades that required a little more work to get a true colour pay off were:  dragon, heroine, last sin, defy and with a little work they looked great (emember sometimes a great shadow doesn’t always swatch impressively). 
Lastly, I really loved the colour families/set up of the palette.  It is almost as though each vertical line could be its own mini quad.  All in all, this is an excellent palette, providing terrific colour selection and good shadow quality.   I will more likely than not be rocking a combination of undone and downfall as transition and crease colours, then blowing out the look with alchemy and bondage, applying alien on the lid and smudging sonic on the lower the lash line for Christmas.  Old habits die hard my friend but, at least they are kind of different and mimic the pantone colour of the year-masala, haha.

As always thanks for stopping by, please follow my blog using tab on the left if you like, I would love you to join the Sweet family;)
-Thanks, Rachill

(C) ALL PICTURES/POSTS BELONG TO SWEETSOMETHINGSNZ and should not be used unless permitted. 2014

SHARE:
© sweetsomethingsnz. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOG DESIGNS BY pipdig