Friday, 6 February 2015

Scultping the natural face w/ Kevyn Aucoin

Hi Sweets, 

“Glamour is not self-conscious; it’s not trying really hard. It’s just expressing your own truth. I think that’s what the essence of glamour really is—expressing your uniqueness.”
 —Kevyn Aucoin

I never really worried too much about contouring as I found that I could shape my face just enough, as long as my bronzer was placed in the right spot.  However, recently I have been on a contour kick, collecting multiple different contouring palettes/products and have been loving all of them (see here and herehttp://sweetsomethingsnz.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/anastasia-beverly-hills-contour-kit.html). 

I am sure you have all heard about the Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder in medium being raved all over the internet and like most I had been sucked in by the promise of natural cheekbones and a subtle angular contour to the face.  These all sounded great and to a round faced girl who has more plump cheeks than angles, I finally caved and grabbed the dam thing.  I also got the celestial powder in candlelight and natura, the pure powder glow.  I have used these shaping gems for about a month now and am sharing my thoughts with you. 

The product is quite small (3.1g), but comes in a velvet pouch and is secured in a sturdy compact, perfect for travelling and also has a mirror which is good for touch ups.  The powders themselves are finely milled and pressed quite firmly into the pan, so that means there is a kick of powder/pigment (especially with medium), but the texture is smooth and blendable.  I found that the pure powder glow was not very pigmented to swatch, but does builds really smoothly, providing a really healthy flush to the complexion.  Overall, I do find each powder does blend effortlessly and looks natural as each product is layered, although I would warn you that the sculpting powder can look muddy if you use too much on the brush or if it is not carefully blended (I made that mistake the first time I used it, haha).  I also found that the medium and natura lasted 4.5 hours on the cheeks before fading and candlelight’s luminous glow continued burning bright for a good 6 hours.

The sculpting powder – medium:  This is a cool grey/taupe-brown with very delicate red undertones.  This allows the powder to provide a natural shape and shadow, whilst still having enough red tones to add a subtle hint of healthy colour (as you can see on the swatch).

The pure powder glow – natura:  This is the prefect neutral toned blush, which will compliment many skin tones and also helps to shape the face.  There is also a silver micro shimmer running throughout this blush, which makes the skin look vigorous and youthful.

The celestial powder – candlelight:  This is a beautiful warm beige champagne highlight, which has a really lovely frost like finish.  Super natural and radiant, my new ‘go to’ day time highlight.

I would recommend these products and would like to try some more of the pure glow powders.





SHARE:
© sweetsomethingsnz. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOG DESIGNS BY pipdig